You will have to reburn the image file on the miner when you face some issues with the miner. In this article, we will share the exact procedure to reburn the system image on the miner.
If you see only minor issues, you do not have to reburn the miner image.
What is an Image file?
Here, the image file is not referring to a picture. But it is the binary file of the operating system of the miner. The definition for an image file is given below.
An image file is basically a disk image that is used for computing. It is a computer file that has the whole structure of the volume of the disk. It can also contain whole storage data of a disk drive, floppy disk, tape drive, USB drive, optical disc like CD, DVD, etc. In order to create a disk image for the miner, you need to create a sector-by-sector replica of the source data. An image file can contain more than one computer file. It will depend on the format of the disk image.
What all Things are Needed to Create the Image File?
You will need the items given below to create a disk image.
- The image file of the mining system. It can come in two formats. It will be either .imgc file or .img file.
- You will need an SD card or a Micro SD card. The preferred capacity is 8 GB or more.
- You will also need a card reader.
- You will also need a PC loaded with Windows operating system.
- Another thing that you will need is the image burning software program. There are two image file formats here. So, you will need two types of image burners to burn these two image files. You will need Win32DiskImager to burn the image file in .img format and HDD Raw Copy Tool for the .imgc format.
Where to find the Image?
You can get the required image file from any places given below.
- Go to the miner manufacturer’s support page to download the image file.
- Look for other reliable sources for downloading.
When you are downloading the image file, make sure that the file format of the file is appropriate. It needs to be .img and .imgc. As you already know, you will need two types of burners to burn image files in these two formats.
You will be downloading the file in .zip or .rar format. So, after downloading, you will have to unzip the file.
Steps for Burning the Image
- Be ready with an SD card or a Micro SD card with the card reader.
- You must go to the site and download the right image file.
- Next, you will have to download the software for burning the image files. You will need two software programs. Win32DiskImager is required to burn the .img file. HDD RAW Copy Tool is needed for burning the .imgc file.
- Take the SD card reader and insert your SD card. You can see the drive letter assigned to the SD card in the Windows operating system.
- Let us start with the .img file. You will need the Win32DiskImager to create this image file. You will ahve to log in as an administrator to run the Win32DiskImager software program. You can right-click on the file and choose the “Run as administrator” option.
- Go ahead and choose the right image file for burning.
- Next, you will have to choose the appropriate drive letter of the SD card in the device section. Check and confirm that you are selecting the right letter. If you select wrongly, you will end up erasing the hard drive data. If you are not able to see any dive even after the SD card slot selection, you can try with the external SD card adapter.
- Press on the Write option and wait for the writing process to complete.
- Once the writing process is complete, you can go out of the software and eject the SD card.
- Now, we will have a look at the procedure to burn the .imgc format file. You will need the HDD RAW Copy Tool for burning this image file. Log in as an administrator to run this software program. You can right-click on the file and choose the option “Run as administrator” from the dropdown menu.
- Go ahead and select the source file first. You can see the “Double click to open file” option. Click on this option. Choose the correct image file with the .imgc extension. In order to go to the next step, click Continue.
- Now, you will have to choose the target to burn the image. You need to choose the SD card drive letter from the list of devices. To go to the next step, click Continue.
- Check and ensure that all the information is correct. Then, click on the Start button and wait for some time so that the process is complete.
- Once the writing process is complete, you can exit from the software and eject the memory card.
Q&A For Troubleshooting
Question 1: What if there is a failure in image file burning?
Answer 1: You can try doing the following things if there is a failure happening during the burning of the image.
- Did you download the correct image file? Is the downloaded image file a corrupted one? You can also check with the support team of the miner to get the latest image file for burning.
- Is the SD card you are using for burning working properly? Is it damaged? Go for another SD Card from a different manufacturer. You can also try with an SD card of higher capacity. For example, if you are getting a failure on a 16 GB card, use a 32 GB card.
- Are you using the right software for burning the image file? For example, if you try to burn the .imgc file in Win32DiskImager, the burning will fail. Likewise, if you try burning the .img file in HDDRaw Copy Tool, it will fail.
Question 2: What if the miner is still not working after reburning the image file?
Answer 2: Reburning the image file into the miner is just one of the methods to bring back the miner into its normal working condition. If the reburning process is not helping to solve the issue, you can first check the troubleshooting guide from the manufacturer to fix the issue. If there is no improvement, contact the manufacturer directly to get the problem resolved.
Series articles on crypto miner maintenance:
- Precautions for Cryptocurrency Miner | Inovatec Mining Devices
- Professional Miner Maintenance suggestions from Antminer technicist | Inovatec Mining Devices
- Operation and Maintenance Manual of Cryptocurrency Mining Farms | Inovatec Mining Devices
- Miner Virus Prevention and Solutions | Invoatec Mining Devices
- Practical Guide for Mining Noise Control | Inovatec Mining Devices
- Practical Guide for Miner Cooling | Inovatec Mining Devices