Parameters of the BM1384 Chip
You can refer to these images for the BM1384 chip pictures.
The BM1384 chip makes use of the 28 nm process.
The number of cores in this chip is 55.
It comes in an FCQFN56 package.
The size of the BN1384 chip is 8 mm x 8 mm.
Specifications of the Bitmain Ant S5 Miner Machine
Now, we will have a look at the different specifications of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine. This miner comes with a rated speed of 1150 GH/S. You can expect a deviation of +/- 5 percent. The total power consumption of this miner machine is around 590 W. The machine takes 12V DC power. It makes use of 60 BM1384 chips for mining.
Now, we will evaluate the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine in detail.
We will see the packaging details first. The Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine comes in a 5-layer carton package. You can see the ISO international standard storage in the package box. You can also see the transportation icons on the package. It will be there on both sides of the package.
You will get the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine in a sky and earth cover foam. Bitmain has used this design to overcome the lack of strength of the transverse surface of the carton box. Thus, Bitmain helps to ensure the safety of the miner machine during the shipping process
You can see the logos of Antminer and Bitmain printed on the panels. It will be there on both sides of the miner.
Bitmain has provided fans for colling the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine. You can see the 4-wire `12Cm fan on the front side of the miner machine. This design of the cooling system makes use of both the air from the from t side as well as from the backside for the heat removal process. You can see the network cable interface at the top. There will be a reset hole and the status light at the top.
Bitmain has provided an air outlet on the backside of this miner machine. If you have a close look at the design, you can view the heat sinks of the 2nd computing power board very close to each other. Thus, they form an air duct with the help of a panel on either side. The air will get discharged through this path. You can see the logo of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine above.
The side panels of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine are made up of very lightweight material. It weighs only 44.5 g. They have used a high temperature resistant plastic for the manufacturing of these panels.
You will be able to view the data wire and the controller on the top of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine. Other things that you will be able to see from the top include the 2 hash boards that come with a couple of PCI-E6 pin power connectors.
You can see the close-up view of the controller above.
The below view is from a 45-degree angle.
There are around 30 chips in each of the hash boards of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine. They have used a series circuit design for these boards
You can see the physical parameters of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine here. There will be a slight bias in the manual measurement.
Installation of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine
We will make use of the 1000 W Great Wall power supply unit for the evaluation of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine.
The installation process of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine is quite simple, and anyone can do it. You will be able to see a couple of power ports in each of the hash boards. You can plug into any one of these.
Now, you need to connect the Ethernet cable. You can connect the Ethernet cable to the network cable interface of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine, located on the front side of the miner machine. The other end of the Ethernet cable needs to be connected to the router. Now, the basic installation process is complete.
You can see the wiring diagram of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine here.
Debugging of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine
You need to switch ON the power at first. The miner will assign the IP address automatically. You don’t have to do it manually. There are different ways to find the IP address of the miner. You can make use of any of the basic ways to know the miner’s IP address.
You can open the browser and input the Ip address. You will get a page to enter the username and password details. If you are using the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine for the first time, the root will be the username and password for the login.
There are three steps involved in the setup of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine. Once you are done with these steps, it will start running.
Status Page of the Miner
Now, we will see the status indicators. There are two status indicator lights in this mining machine. These two lights will flash in green when the miner is running normally.
We will measure the computing power curve of this miner machine. In order to do that, we need to run the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine continuously for 24 hours. The measured value is around 1.15 T after the test. There were no major fluctuations during the test. The system is stable during the whole run.
Now, we will measure the temperature at different parts. The room temperature at the time of the test is around 15 degrees Celsius. The humidity value during this time is 63. The level of noise the indoors is around 41 dBa.
The fans of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine were running at full speed when the miner is switched ON initially. The level of noise is around 74 to 78 dBa during this time. The fans will continue to run in full speed for around 10 seconds.
The speed of the fan came down later in the normal working condition. The level of noise during this time is around 64 to 67 dBa.
The level of noise at a distance of 1 meter from the miner machine is around 55 to 61 dBa.
Now, we will have a look at the power of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine. The power consumed by the miner machine is around 593 W. This measurement is done when the miner is operated at the default frequency, which is 350 M.
We will see the temperature of the back-end chip of the miner during this time. It is around 41 to 44 degrees Celsius. This measurement is taken close to the heat sink that is near the fan at an angle of 18 degrees.
The temperature is around 26 degrees Celsius at the heat sink that is near the tail end of the miner.
There is some considerable distance between these two places from the main chip. If you bring your hands near to the tail section, you can feel the hot air that is getting expelled from the miner. The temperature of the background display chip is around 41 to 44 degrees Celsius during this time.
Now, we will have a look at the overclocking test. In this test, we will increase the clock frequency of the miner chip beyond its specified value. We will run this test for more than 1 hr. So, it is not a long-term test. If you go to the default miner frequency section, you can see the default frequency of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine as 350 M. S0, for this test, we will go ahead with 381.25 M as the overclocking frequency value.
The computing power of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine is around 1.3 T. The power consumed by the miner machine is 644 W.
350 M is the default frequency of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine. We will run the miner at a frequency lower than this value. We will go for a frequency that is 5 levels below this frequency, 318.75 M.
The power measured during this time is around 543 W. 1.06 T is the computing power of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine during this test.
We have updated the computing power curve of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine on January 5th. The frequency of operation is 387.5 M. 1.28 T is the average computing power of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine measured at this time. The total power consumed by the mine is around 655 W.
Summary of Bitmain Ant S5 Miner Machine Evaluation
- If you compare the production process of the 3rd generation BN1384 chip with that of the 2nd generation chip, both are the same. If you compare the performance of these two generation chips, the performance is higher for the 3rd generation BM1384 chip. It is almost similar to that of the 1st generation chip. If you see the computing power ratio, it is almost similar to the 0.4 nm chips when you operate it at the normal frequency. They have also launched the new Ant S2 mining machine, which is a cross-generation miner.
- The 3rd generation chips have really helped to achieve good power consumption rates. It is also with the help of the series power supply unit. Thus, there is a great improvement in the service time of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine.
- Now, if you see the noise part, it is around 64 to 67 dBa in the normal operating mode. These values are still in the acceptable range. But if you are planning to use the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machines in a quiet environment, then it can be an issue. So, it will not work for quiet environments.
- If you see the size and weight of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine, it is quite small and compact. It is possible with the help of the really intelligent side panel design. The smaller size of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine will help the mining farms to utilize their space in a better way. They can place more miners in the same area. Thus, it will help to improve the utilized area.
- Now comes the heat dissipation part. There is around 8 degree temperature difference between the front side and the backside of the heat sink. The temperature on the chip side is around 40 to 45 degrees. Thus, the temperature is always below 50 degrees. This temperature value is not going to have any impact on the stability of the miner machine.
- 1.15 T is the computing power of the Bitmain Ant S5 miner machine. It is a relatively stable value. This value matches the specifications shared by the manufacturer.